Hair that has been dyed, bleached, straightened or otherwise chemically treated is vulnerable to contamination or removal of hair mineral content. Best results are obtained when hair has not been treated.
Dandruff shampoos containing zinc (Head & Shoulders), selenium (Selsun Blue) and lead (Grecian Formula) or other medicated shampoos/conditioners should not be used prior to taking a sample.
If hair is very short, clean thinning shears may be used.
Hair from the head is preferred, however, pubic hair can also be used, but is best reserved for situations where head hair is unavailable. Do not combine head and pubic hair.
- Wash hands and ensure scissors are clean and in good condition.
- Collect hair samples from the nape of the neck.
- Cut hair as close to the scalp as possible. It is best if small amounts are cut from four to six areas.
- Save only new hair growth, about 2.5 cm from the scalp.
- 1 gram or approximately 1 Tablespoon is sufficient for analysis.
- Seal tightly in a zip-lock bag.
- Label the bag and complete sample submittal form.